Replacement of the Old Betzwood Bridge
Construction is expected to begin in 2014 to build a new bicycle/pedestrian bridge over the Schuylkill River to link the regional trail systems of Montgomery and Chester Counties, the Valley Forge National Historical Park (VFNHP), and Upper Merion Township. These new connections will improve recreational opportunities, expand bicycle commuter options, improve access for Park visitors, reduce auto dependency, and promote green travel patterns.
In addition to the bicycle/pedestrian trail bridge, the plan includes the replacement of the Trooper Road bridge over the Schuylkill River Trail and replacement of the superstructure on the bridge over the Norfolk Southern railroad, as well as improving the roadway and trail approaches to each of the bridges.
The bridge, now known as Sullivan’s Bridge, will commemorate the Revolutionary War Major General John Sullivan, the officer in charge of constructing the original bridge over the Schuylkill River. The original bridge was completed in 1777 and was used to connect the Continental Army encampment at Valley Forge with the supply depot in Reading.